Sunday, March 30, 2008

Moab


We took a family road trip to Moab and Arches National Park this week. Mommy had a conference for work, so our hotel and travel expenses were paid for. It was the perfect opportunity for a little family trip.

The drive is only about 3 hours, and the girls did great in the car. In fact, when we finally pulled into the driveway at home the last day of our trip, Bryn didn't want to get out of her carseat. She wanted to stay in the car and I had to convince her we could get out. Thank you awesome DVD player in the car. Saved our lives!

The girls loved every mintue of it - from eating an entire bowl of salsa each one night. . .

. . .to just spending time with each other. They were fantastic!

The first day we were there, mommy actually had to work. So daddy had the girls all day. He took them hiking to Double-O Arch. He started out with Bryn in the backpack, but she wanted to be big and just walk. Amazinly, she did really well. I think my kids were meant to be outside. Then he took them to a super-cool park. They loved it. The best part of it all, is that everyone was super tired by the end of the night. Everyone slept like babies. Good sleeping babies too. I feel more rested then I have in a very long time.





We swam every day with the girls. The hotel had a pool that was 1/2 indoors/1/2 outdoors, and it was heated. The girls would don their swimmies and goggles, and head out. They're both great "swimmers" for being 2 and 3. G is not afraid of anything, and will doggie paddle all around - even into the deep - all by herself (of course mommy and daddy are always right there). She'll also jump off of the side of the pool without anyone to catch her. She can float on her back too. She's so cute. Bryn loves to jump off of the edge too, but still needs someone to catch her.

Our hike on the second day was a shorter hike to Sand Dune Arch and Broken Arch. It was only about 1.5 miles round-trip, and the girls had a blast. They love to run through the desert and climb all over the rocks.





On our last day there, we decided to hike Delicate Arch - its one of the iconic symbols of Utah. The hike is 3 miles round-trip, and although the park map lists it as a strenuous hike, it really isn't too bad. Without kids. With kids it did take us almost 2 hours. But they hiked about 3/4 of it themselves, and I was proud of my "hiker chicks".

Although it was in the 70s outside, it was so windy. The last part of the hike is a couple hundred yards along the edge of a clif - not a "you're definitely gonna die if you fall" kind of cliff - more of a "you're gonna get seriously hurt if you fall" kind of cliff. So, we were being extra cautious with the girls. As we came around the corner to where the arch is first visible, a huge gust of wind hit Ben, and almost knocked him off of the clif. The wind was crazy strong there. I think it would have blown one of the girls off of the cliff. Needless to say, we held them the entire time, and didn't venture any further. That is why our hair looks so awful in these pics.



Just a beautful shot of the scenery. I never get tired of the beauty. I know some people think its desolate and barren - but I LOVE it down there. Ben and I talked a lot about how we almost moved down there last year for my job. I'm so sad that we didn't - because I didn't want to leave.

Ok - off to get caught up on everyone else's blogs.

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

OK, that settles it, Daren and I have been thinking about going there for the kids spring break and seeing these pics has finalized our decision. We've never been! I loved seeing close ups of your girls, so cute! Glad you had fun!

tiburon said...

Looks like a great trip! That is one place we haven't been in Utah (there are quite a few...) but we want to get there soon.

It is so pretty!!

Anne Marie said...

I'm so glad you had a fun trip! Sometimes it is so nice to get away and just be able to take a deep breath and be with each other. The pictures are gorgeous! I'm with you, I love the desert. It think it is so beautiful and colorful and the sky seems so big. So glad you had fun!

pithydithy said...

Great pictures! Mr. Pithy used to live in Moab and we have friends and family there, so seeing these made me wish we could go again.

Omgirl said...

That looks like such a fun trip! The pictures are precious. I love the one of the girls in their swim suits. You guys are a good looking family!

Chelsea said...

I have to admit, I'm one of the ones who finds it desolate and barren....but also beautiful, in its own way. It looks like you had a blast. And you are looking terrific, skinny girl!!

jason said...

That looks like so much fun! My cousin goes to Moab every year and I wanna go now! Glad you had fun with your cute happy family.

erin said...

Sorry that last one was me. I really should start checking who the heck is logged on before I leave a comment. It still looks like fun!

Kristine said...

What great pictures! I'm so glad you had a great family weekend! Your girls are getting so big and beautiful!

janae said...

Moab is one of my favorite places. Did you stay at the Moab Valley Inn by chance? We love sand dune arch. That's great you made it all the way to delicate with kids. That is something to be proud of!

Angie said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! Your kids are so adorable and fun to hear about what great swimmers they are!

Heather said...

What a blast!! Seeing those pictures made me think of my family vacations to Moab - now that I have my own little family, I definitely need to go back. BTW, your kids are so cute!

Also, Stephanie Fairbank told me to tell you that I was her visiting teacher and that Lemi Morrill is my VT companion - from what she said, I filled your spot. Is this true? Funny coincidence!

Savage Family said...

Wow what awesome pictures!!!! Your family is so cute!! I have never been there I want to go!!! Your girls are adorable!!!

carrie said...

I would love to take my family there, too!! I loved all your fun pictures, Christie. Your girls are sure growing up. I showed Jason the pictures, too....and we can't believe how much Grace looks like you and Bryn looks like Ben. When he saw Bryn, he said, "Wow, she looks like Ben." You guys have such a cute family...and you all have great SMILES. :o) I'm jealous that you got to get away somewhere fun, even for WORK. I'm jealous of the salsa, too!! YUM Hope you have fun back in Lehi this week. ha ha American Idol is tomorrow, too!! I'll be waiting for your next post!! ha ha

Gina said...

I am so glad you guys got to get away!! I love Moab...that's where Jerry and I met and I miss going there so bad!! Im glad you posted all those fun pictures!! How fun that your girls are hikers!!

Oceanchild said...

Yay! What a fun trip! We almost headed that way ourselves after spending a couple days in St. George. Although I can't say I love the desert scenery as much, I LOVE the weather. And you can't beat swimming. I need a pool and some sun! Glad you guys had fun. and expenses paid? come on...can't get better than that.

Stephanie said...

How fun! I love the pictures. I am now going to start planning a trip to Moab! Thanks!!!

Lynita said...

Okay so now I am super jealous! That looks like a blast! We are waiting for the weather to warm up just a little before we do some camping here, but we can't wait!