Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I won't be getting a raise any time soon


The other day, the girls didn't want to go to daycare. G said something to me about feeling like she never saw me anymore, and it made me feel incredibly guilty. So, I took a spontaneous vacation day so that the girls and I could have a day just for ourselves. No cleaning. No appointments. Only fun and frolic, and lots of girl stuff.

We started out by doing mani/pedis. And I let the girls pick the colors and crazy nail decals. We had blue and purple toes with Hello Kitty decals. Even mommy got decals. It was da bomb. (is it just me, or does G's foot look almost as big as mine?)
The next item on the agenda was beading, because, after all, what girl doesn't love new jewelry. We even went to the bead store and let the girls pick out their own beads and charms. G strung hers all by her "big girl" self, and mommy helped Bryn.

I think they turned out gorgeous!
Our next activity was painting. Grandpa had made them new birdhouses (kind of a G'pa tradition) and the girls got to paint them how ever they wanted. This was G's favorite part of the day - she had a blast. Bryn did pretty darn good too!
The finished products: G's house is the one on the left - she very carefully painted each surface a different color. Very regimented. Bryn mixed the paint all together, and had a much more abstract look. Both were beautiful though, and fit each girls' personality.


We finished our busy day with lots of homemade salsa - our favorite treat. As you can tell, the girls simply cannot get enough of the stuff.

It was a great day.

15 comments:

Kristine said...

What a fun day! That looks super cute! Mmmmm, can I have some salsa?

Chelsea said...

How fun! Will you be my mom?

Koreena said...

My goodness! What a fun day with your girls! I'm sure they'll remember it for a long time to come. You're an awesome mommy!

Mindi said...

one question: can my girls come and live at your house??

Oceanchild said...

You are such a fun mom. Everytime I think about a spontaneous vacation day, I only think about the cleaning I could get done. I love the birdhouses. I should get one for Landon and Ellie to paint.

Jen said...

So fun! cute pics too. :)

carrie said...

How FUN!! You are SUCH a good Mom. I'll bet your girls had such a fabulous time with you....and they will NEVER forget that you spent time with them like that. I'm going to need to plan a day like that...with special projects all day long. My kids would be in heaven. I'm just excited for the weather to get nice and STAY nice, so I can plan little field trips. :o) I missed your last post...and I'm sorry. I am going to look into that Nike+ thing. That is fantastic. SO are you...so have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend!!

erin said...

OKay tell me where you live and we will be there! That sounds like so much fun! How about a recipe for the salsa? PLease?!

Notme said...

FUN! Maybe one day I will have a girl to paint toes with :) HOW on earth do you get your kids to eat salsa! come teach mine!

janae said...

Sounds like you really have your priorities in order. You really did alot that day. I love the jewelry!

Lynita said...

That sounds like such a fun day, I love that the girls were so into the great activities!

The Gatherum Family said...

You totally have your priorities in order-good for you. I think it is awesome that you took a time-out for your girls. You know that that is what they are going to remember. You are a cute, fun mom and they are lucky to have you!

Misty said...

I might have to take a well-deserved, spontaneous vacation day. This looks like so much fun. PS - care to share your homemade salsa recipe? I planted 22 tomato plants and I am sure that I am going to be trying many salsa recipes. :)

tiburon said...

That looks like such a fun day. Sometimes you just need a mental health day! Good for you! :)

Omgirl said...

How great that you took a day off just to have fun with your kids. Despite being a SAHM, a lot of my days end with me thinking I spent very little quality time with my kids. Mostly cleaning and errands. I'll have to try this idea sometime and take a day off from being the maid/housekeeper/cook/chauffer just to have fun with my kids.