Thursday, September 25, 2008

Your kids are watching: a cautionary tale

As a parent, there are countless times where I've felt my kids are igorning me. I tell them to clean their rooms - yet the rooms remain cluttered. I tell them to eat their broccoli - yet it remains, cold and untouched on their plates. In fact, it seems they ignore me more often then they listen.

Or so I thought.

As it turns out, they are listening to every single word I say. They are watching everything I do. And they are lying in wait - just hoping for the perfect moment to use those things against me. So are your kids.

Tonight, as I was cleaning up the dinner dishes, the girls and G's friend were sitting at the counter coloring. Bryn was sitting on the counter in front of them chatting away. In the middle of her 2-year-old run-on sentence, she picked a big ole nasty booger, and then she ATE it.

We were all obviously grossed out, so I took the opportunity to teach Bryn that it isn't polite to pick our boogers and eat them. It is very unsanitary (and I went on a lengthy explanation why). Besides, I told her, she doesn't see mommy eating boogers, daddy eating boogers, or her sister eating boogers.

Then, G's sweet friend piped up (who we shall call "jill" - to protect the daughter of what I was soon to find out is a booger eater). She told me how her daddy pick his nose and eats it - or sometimes he just rolls it into a ball and flicks it out the window, but only when he's driving.

Yikes!

Makes me scared to think what my kids are tellilng other people about me.

14 comments:

Oceanchild said...

oh that is too good!

Yeah I can't believe the stuff ellie picks up on. She's always telling us crazy things that happen at her mom's house which means she is always telling her mom all the things that happen at ours.

Lately Landon has picked up "Momma's fault!!!!" I wonder where that came from...

tiburon said...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiick!! Boogers are gross.

It is totally true though. I lost count of all the times the kids have "gotten" me. It is sad :(

Stephanie F. said...

LOL! But, ICK!

Chelsea said...

It is scary how closely they watch us! And then they talk about it to their friends?! It's like living with a spy.

I read an article a while back about how eating boogers is good for kids because it helps them build immunity. EEEEWWWWW!!!

Heather said...

NASTY!! but funny. When I was an Activity Day leader in my ward, I had the girls (who were 9-10)telling me all sorts of things about their families that I'm POSITIVE their parents didn't want me to know. One girl told us that her mom was pregnant (but then swore us to secrecy), one said her mom only makes cereal for dinner, and one talked about her mom going to therapy. Yikes!

carrie said...

That was so funny.... :o)

Omgirl said...

BLECH! But it is a good cautionary tale, you are right.

The Gatherum Family said...

SICK! If there are two things I cannot handle, it's boogers and spit. YUCK. Oh I worry on a daily basis what my kids tell other people about me. Oh well. Hopefully people will use descretion in what they believe from a 5 and 4 year old!

Lynita said...

Niiiiccccceee! Yeah my kids have told on me about some things, like yelling or spanking. Sad as it is those are less embarassing then booger stories.

Ellen said...

If I catch the girls enjoying a "homemade snack" I make them go brush their teeth! I still shudder when I remember a girl in seminary eating her boogers and obviously thinking she was so subtle...ICK.

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

LOL!!! I love this! Tooo funny and ohhh so gross...

Kids say the darndest things... hee!

Jess T said...

BLEAH! YUCKO! :)

Kari said...

Ok that is FANTASTIC!! I'm laughing my head off right now! Thanks for the funny story.

Notme said...

hahah.. oh, that is pretty freaky. Guess I will have to watch landon a little better.