Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Un-labory labor day

I agree with some of my fellow bloggers who wonder what the heck Labor Day is for. I've never actually understood the holiday myself, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. Its a day off, and I'm going to enjoy it. This year, we headed to my in-law's cabin. Its only about an hour away at the Brighton Ski resort, so it is the perfect get-away for a long weekend.

On the way there, the odometer met another milestone: perfect 7s. Gotta be lucky!


It was actually really cold up there, and since their cabin is quite "rustic", the only heat comes from one wood-burning stove. Although we kept it cranked up, it was still chilly enough that we needed long shirts and pants - quite the change from the 100s that it had been just the week before.
It rained throughout the night, and we woke up to a skiff of snow on the peaks.
We did see a few moments of sun, and managed some short excursions into the woods.
See that patch of sun!
The second wave of the storm hit mid-morning, and actually started to accumulate. Although we were at 9000 feet, its still a bit early for September 1st. (I'm not complaining one bit - summer is my least favorite season)
See how lovely the slope and lift look with a skiff of the season's first snow. Makes me so excited.

We were seriously freezing though, and seeing that our plans of a hike (and me for a quick trail run to the top of the peak) we thwarted due to incliment weather, we decided to pack it in early. The thermostat on the car read 33 degrees. It was almost freezing, but not quite. What were we complaining about?
The storm had really settled in by the time we headed down the mountain.
By the time we made it home though, the storm had passed. We should have stuck it out.


Here's the view of the skiff of snow on just the tops of the peaks. Wanna be jealous? This is the view from my front porch! I'm so lucky!

11 comments:

Leia said...

I am jealous I would love to have that view!

Koreena said...

What a gorgeous view to have!

Dan and I are always noticing quarks on our odometer like that. :)

Lynita said...

I can't wait for fall weather and winter too! I used to love summer, when I could go to the beach every day. I really miss the mountains in Utah, they are so beautiful!

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

LOL - you took that top picture while going almost 70 MPH :) HEE!

Wow - I cannot imagine what 33 degrees is like in this crazy DC humidity. What a fun time you all had! Cute pics! :)

Notme said...

I love that you took the Odometer picture while driving 60 MPH..lol

You guys always do such fun things. I wish I was braver to take Landon places, but he is just such a pain.

Cute pics!

Notme said...

I love that you took the Odometer picture while driving 60 MPH..lol

You guys always do such fun things. I wish I was braver to take Landon places, but he is just such a pain.

Cute pics!

Mindi said...

yes, i'm jealous.

it's still one million degrees down here.

yay for you to get away!

Megan said...

How fun.. that weather seems refreshing!!

janae said...

I remember your other post with the odometer milestone. I'm that way with numbers too. Labor Day was really cold, huh? Pretty view!

carrie said...

You're so funny....and I love reading your posts!! I love your view.... I'll bet you're one person who is very excited for winter, huh?? (seeing the snow....) You seemed to always be doing something fun in the COLD weather, if I remember right!! :o) Hope things are good with you guys!!

Omgirl said...

Brrrr! Good thing you like winter because snow on labor day would have bummed me out! but the woods look lovely. I'm glad you got to enjoy your day off.