Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday hike

Last summer we tried to take a family hike every Saturday. It didn't happen every week (more like once a month or so), but we tried. I think we're going to try harder this year. G is 100% in love with hiking, and Bryn is getting old enough to be able to keep up.

Today we decided to head up to Bell's Canyon. Its a nice short hike , and perfect for the kids. It is a bit technical for a 3 and 5 year old, but it isn't even a mile up to the little lake. Totally do-able for the kids. From there, you can hike on up to the very top of the canyon, but we didn't go that far today. We just went around the lake, had a picnic lunch, and came home. It was perfect.

Bryn insisted on wearing a sun dress, but G dressed for the occasion. Bryn made it almost to the top (about 95% of the way to the lake) before she asked to ride in the backpack. I think next time, we'll leave the pack at home so she only had the option of walking. She can do it. G is a certifiable hiker - she was bounding from rock to rock, and literally running along the trail. I had to keep reminding her to slow down. I sounded like such a MOTHER! I guess that is what I am now though. HaHa!

Here are just a random smattering of pics - I'm not even going to bother narrating them.









11 comments:

Heather said...

Ohhhh! This looks like so much fun! I've never been much of a hiker, but I should go anyway. You'll have to tell me about some more kid-friendly (and Heather-friendly) trails! Your girls are just too cute! I love your family pic of the four of you, too.

Unknown said...

That is it. I'm asking for my pack back from my friend. I want to hike too! Very fun. Cute girls.

Witz End said...

TO CUTE!I need to know where your husband got his "I Love Hot Moms" t-shirt. Kevin would love it!

kado! said...

What a fun hike! the pics are Great!

Anonymous said...

Isn't is awesome when you kids can hike on their own? They look like they had a blast!

Angie said...

Your hike looks like such a nice way to spend the day. Oh, I bet it is so nice to live in Colorado. Both my husband and I love visiting there and joke about moving there someday. I would love to have all that gorgeous scenery outside my back door! PS - your girls are adorable!

Oceanchild said...

Looks like so much fun. I'm in the process of narrating our memorial day pics and now i'm thinking i'll just post them. I'm blabbering on too much anyway.

Hey you aren't going to the big ass show by any chance are you?? Offspring....:) We are trying to find a sitter, so who knows if we'll make it.

Jess T said...

Love the photos!

Omgirl said...

I'm really impressed. I tried to take Daphne on a 3 block walk to the grocery store, and 1/2 block into it she told me I had to carry her. Your kids are rock stars!!!

Lynita said...

Your girls really are hikers aren't they! I love it, my family loves to hike as well, we just don't have a good pack for Owen. that lake looks so gorgeous too!

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Gorgeous photos!! I seriously need to visit there and go hiking myself! Wow...