Tuesday, March 27, 2007

End of the 21 day goal

I wanted to update all day yesterday, but I never go the chance.  My 21-day sugar fast ended on Sunday.  And I made it.  I only cheated one time - when I accidentally ate a Life Saver that G gave me.  Really that shouldn't count.  And I did actually eat dessert to celebrate the end.  I had a small piece of Angel Food Cake covered in fresh strawberries - with a dollop of whipped cream (or whoop cream as G calls it).   Mmmmm.  It was yummy.
 
I'm going to continue to limit my sugar intake; however I will allow myself the occasional splurge for special occasions.
 
I didn't lose a single pound during that 21 days.  But, I no longer have sugar cravings.  Its out of my system, and that was my true goal (although the loss of a pound or two would have been an added bonus).
 
So, yesterday was the beginning of a new 21 day goal, and I've been contemplating for a few days what my new goal should be.   I've been toying with the idea that it should be to give up my diet pop addiction.  I LOVE me some diet coke, diet dr pepper, diet mtn dew, etc.  You get the picture.  I have one when I wake up, and usually another by 9am or so.  Then, more at lunch, another during the afternoon, maybe some with dinner, and even more before bed.  I do drink water too - I shoot for 64 ounces and usually make it.  And I do pee lots and lots.  I'm sure most who know me think I have bladder problems because I pee so much.
 
There is no question that I'm addicted to caffeine, and I'm sure the addiction itself is a bad thing.  And I do try and eat so heathy - mostly organic, no processed foods, etc.  I'm limiting chemicals and unnatural food processes in the rest of my diet - its a bit of an oxymoron that I drink so much diet pop.  And I'm sure the artificial sweeteners are pickling my brain.  But its so damn good.  I feel as though I've cut out so much more from my diet, that I deserve at least one guilty pleasure.
 
{{SIGH}}
 
I've decided that I am going to try and limit my consumption, but I'm not ready to cut it out completely.  Yesterday I only drank 2, and I felt ok.  I know that cold-turkey would give me a terrible headache, and probably make me an extremely difficult person to be around for a few days.  Maybe that can be my next 21 day goal.

For now, my goal is going to be to do one item of housework a day.  I know that doesn't sound like an uber-lofty goal, but some days after an early morning run, 11 hours of work, 2 hours of commuting, and getting the kids in bed, I'm exhausted.  Things tend to build up - especially laundry.  So, last night I did 3 loads of laundry.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten how easy it is to put away just one load of laundry (usually I'm putting away several).
 
So - there it is.  My new 21-day goal.  Housework.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap... there's no way I could cut out sugar for 21 days. You're so strong! Although, I could easily cut out pop for 21 days - I rarely drink it and I especially loathe diet soda - I can't stand the taste. Anyway, that's awesome that you're doing 21 day goals. Good luck and good job! :)