Sunday, March 18, 2007

Battlecreek Falls









(For some reason, I can't get the pictures to load correctly)

We took our first hike of the season on Saturday. It was such a beautiful spring day - low 70s and not a cloud in the sky - the type of day just begging you to go outside. And we were very anxious to try out our new Kelty Adventurer packs. So - we decided to give Battlecreek Falls a try. Its only about a mile up a narrow canyon, and while its a steady climb, its not too strenuous. We figured it was a perfect way to break in the new packs.

It actually only took us 15 minutes to reach the falls. Along the way we passed a small cave, that was very interesting to G. We let her out of the pack to explore. The falls themselves were really pretty, but a little drab since none of the trees were out yet. We need to go back in a couple of months when things are green. I'll bet it will be very enchanting then. Even so, Gracelin loved walking down to the bottom of the falls with Daddy. I stayed up on the trail with Bryn - it was a bit chilly down by the water and I didn't want to get her wet and cold.

Gracelin LOVED being in the pack. Poor Bryn didn't love it so much. She was fine as long as I was moving, but as soon as we stopped, she'd cry. It really wasn't fair of us to take her out - she'd had a fever all weekend and a bad cough. In fact, I took her temperature after her nap, and she was 105. Poor girl was probably just miserable. I hope we didn't ruin her forever on hiking.
I felt really out of shape too - its amazing what an extra 30 pounds will do to you. I was so winded, and I broke a sweat. And still today, my back and calves are feeling it. It was supposed to be a rest day from running, but I feel more worked over than I do after a run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time lurker who felt motivated to comment now. You look fantastic in that photo! I've been considering starting a running program and, after reading about your success, I'm going to give it a try.