Friday, February 08, 2008

Scary phone call

I received a call yesterday that makes every mother's heard drop. I was at work, and noticed on the caller id that it was daycare calling (that's never good). It was Bryn's teacher, and she immediately blurted out, "I'm not trying to scare you, but Brynlee has been in an little accident".

Now, why people think that prefacing a statement with, "I'm not trying to scare you, but . . ." is going to calm you down, because in saying it, all they manage to do is scare you. It defeats the purpose. The moment I heard it, my heart started racing and my blood pressure rose to within dangerous levels. I was envisioning that my sweet little girl had been in some disfiguring accident, and would never be the same.

She did continue with the story, that Bryn and a little boy had bumped heads, and that her lip is split and may need a stitch to close it. It didn't sound too life-threatening - the visions of her with a limb dangling off subsided. Still, I decided to drive over and take a look. And I was grateful to only be 6 blocks away.

When I got there, Bryn wasn't even crying and the bleeding had already stopped. Clearly she was going to be just fine. She did have blood all over her shirt and pants - a fact she was very proud of. She showed me the "owie" on her lip, which was hugely swollen and purple. Then she proudly showed me the blood all over her clothes. She was proud of her ordeal - my girls are nothing if not tough.

I did a quick assessment, and determined that she was going to ok. I helped her change out of her bloody clothes, and held some ice on her face for a few minutes. She wanted to get up and play, so I left and went back to work, grateful that she had nothing more than a fat lip.

12 comments:

The Gatherum Family said...

so glad everything turned out okay! That is scary especially when you aren't there! It's good that your girls are tough. I think if I were to have a girl, I'd hope she'd be as tough as my boys are-it's good for them. Glad things are good...

Hayley said...

oh man! that is scary! i'm glad she's tough & handled everything well!!!

Jan said...

Scary for sure. I'm so glad it worked out well -- and how great that you could just zip right over there. You are a great mom.

Oceanchild said...

Yes, scary! Isn't it funny that kids are so proud of their "owies"!. My little man was carrying around the attachments for the vacuum cleaner in his mouth (gross I know, bad mom), fell, and the thing cut up his gums. Blood everywhere. Landon just wanted me to know that he had an owie.

glad you guys are okay. Have a good weekend. you deserve it@

Gina said...

It's those little scares that put you back into reality of motherhood and just how much you love them!! I'm so glad she is ok!!

Stephanie F. said...

Oh Christie I'm so glad she's okay. That is so scary to get calls like that. When the school calls my house now the thought goes through my head "what has she done now" haha! Did you see Heidi's post about her son getting staples in his head Wed night, ick!
K hope this isn't weird but I had a dream last night that you took me sledding at Snowbird, lol! Like you were teaching me how to sled down the bunny hill. Weird!

janae said...

It is nice to be close. I can't imagine getting a call like that and being far away.

janae said...

I got this same call last week. My 7 year old's school called and said she was the school nurse and that Meg had an accident. When I see the school's number on caller ID my heart starts beating so fast. But it's usually my son saying he forgot something and needs me to bring it to him. My daughter was at Gym and bumped heads with another student. She got a black eye. Then she was sick a couple days after and I took her to the doctor. He asked her so many questions. I think he was trying to determine if she was being abused. I should do a post on our recent owies. Brooklyn's broken arm, Brooklyn's lip that her teeth went through and needed stitches, Max's cut finger (courtesy of Brooklyn), Meg's black eye and my broken toe.

Lynita said...

I think it is silly that people say that phrase, it really only serves to scare you! I am glad that she didn't need stitches! She really is a tough girl, like her mommy!

carrie said...

Christie...Hi again!! I had to comment on your blog because of what you wrote on mine!! I absolutely loved your 100 list because it was so REAL. It was NOT too much information.... I loved reading it. Those are the best kind of lists, I think. In fact, I think I even commented on your post saying that...and I commented right back about a few things, and probably left way too much information on MY comment. ha ha Who cares.... It's the truth, and it's real...and it's what makes YOU interesting. :o)

carrie said...

Ok...I'm an idiot. I swear I already commented on this post!! There was one time I was commenting, and then I had to leave, so I probably shut the laptop without actually sending my comment. Sorry!! Anyway, I think you're a great Mom. At least you were close enough where you could run right over there and console her!! I get so nervous when Matthew's school calls, too. One time though....he came home from school with a HUGE bump on his head from falling on the playground during a basketball game or football or SOMETHING. I was so MAD that he didn't call me. He just didn't want to go to the nurse and "feel like a baby"....but still, I felt bad that he was in pain all day. As for "being proud" of an injury....my kids are the same way. They love to show off scars, bruises, and all kinds of gross things. ha ha I'm sure Ben has told you horror stories about how crazy my kids can be. :o) Have a great week....and hopefully you won't get any more scary phone calls!!

Stephanie said...

Christie
I was glad to see your comment, I think I remeber you. Did you live in the Jordan Meadows ward? Anyway, I don't think there is anything cuter than a 2 yo with plumber crack :)
~Stephanie