Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pet peeves

I think I’m a fairly easygoing person. I don’t tend to get bent out of shape too often. But even so, there are a few things that drive me absolutely batty. One such example is when people “ask” as question without really asking. My darling 3 year old does this all of the time. For instance, every night before bed she wants a drink of cold milk. Instead of just asking, “Mommy, can I please have a glass of cold milk” she’ll say to me “mommy, I’m thirsty”. I used to just get her the milk. But I decided a few weeks ago that she is going to learn to ask for what she needs. So now, instead of getting her the milk, I’ll respond with a smart-aleky retort such as “are you making a statement or asking for a drink”. To which she’ll answer “I want a drink”, and then I’ll make her actually ask me for a drink. And she has to say please for it to count. I’m probably instilling in her a whole different set of peeves she’ll deal with some time, but at least she is learning how to ask a question. Yesterday on the way home from daycare, I had turned down the Barbie princess movie to talk on my phone. G asked from the back seat: “mommy, can you please turn up the movie? I can’t hear it”. She’s learning.

Just for fun, here are a few of my other pet peeves. Just because I have nothing else to blog about (y’all know that is completely untrue).

1. Slow people. I have come to realize that there are two types of people in the world: slow people and fast people. Slow people are the ones in front of you in the grocery line who are still putting their wallet away while you’re ready to pay. Slow people are the ones in front of you in line who just can’t seem to make a decision. Slow people are the ones walking 3 abrest in the mall, completely oblivious to the fact that there is someone behind them trying to pass. I am naturally a fast person. I’m habitually on time to everything. I don’t procrastinate. I even walk quickly. And I don’t have a lot of patience for people who have no consideration for those of us who may just be in a hurry (i.e. ME).
2. Grammar mistakes. Ok, I know that not everyone was an English major – but come on people! How difficult is it to remember the difference between their, there, and they’re? Or even more annoying: your and you’re. I went to Elementary school in Kentucky, and even I can tell the difference. The worst mistake of all, is the “errant apostrophe” – when people use ‘s when it really should just be plural. This also applies when using an acronym. It really isn't difficult, but when in doubt, Google it!
3. Redundancy of acronyms. (While we’re on the subject of acronyms) I’m not sure of a great way to say this, but I hate when people say things like ATM machine or PIN number. Don’t they know that the “M” stands for machine and the “N” stands for number? Why bother to even use the acronym if you’re going to say part of the phrase anyway? It’s so redundant.
4. “Not my job” syndrome. I can’t stand people at work who constantly pass the buck because they think something is not their job – or it’s beneath them to do a task. We’re all getting paid to work here. It’s a job. It is supposed to be work. Just do it and quit complaining!
5. Misspelling and mispronunciation of words. I see stuff like this a lot at work, and it drives me bonkers. Its barbed wire, not bob wire. And wrought iron, not rod iron. Gist, not just. Moot, not mute. (OK mom – I love you to death, but I cannot stand the way you pronounce the word PUMPKIN. It is pump-kin, not punkin. Just in case you actually read this, I still love you!)

6 comments:

Jan said...

Can I just say that I loved your list? I think for me it's my Canadian background - -the study of English was huge there, and all your pet peeves are mine too. Loved it!

The Gatherum Family said...

Your list rocks! I TOTALLY agree with all you said, let's add to the list: People who stare, People who butt into things that are not their business and women that try to help other women "mother" by giving unsolicited advice-I HATE THAT!!! Great idea for a post. I may copy you soon...Adrian

Kriss said...

Hahaha, I laughed at the rod iron comment because I KNOW I have typed rod iron before. I honestly didn't think about it being Wrought Iron. I have always called it Rod Iron. LOL!!! I need that laugh more than you know tonight. -kriss

LisserB said...

My mom calls souveniers, "silveniers" and used to call men, "min", till I bugged her enough about it. And my aunt calls wrestling, "wrasling". Drives me nuts too, so I loved your list. Except I am one of the slow ones. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to add one thing to the list. When people ask, "Where are you at?" Makes me crazy.

Chelsea said...

Ooh, I hate "where are you AT" too.

I am SO with you on all the grammatical pet peeves! Especially the your/you're one and its/it's. AHHH!

I think it is so great that you are teaching your girls to ask questions directly. So often as women we don't do this because we want to be "polite" and we are shocked to find out that people (especially husbands and employers) can't read our minds. It is a real skill to be able to ask specifically for what you want and it is awesome that you are teaching your girls this!

PS Funniest line in this whole post: "I went to Elementary school in Kentucky, and even I can tell the difference." Ha!