Lately I've been really into finding ways to cut costs, save money, and make extra money (for obvious reasons - Ben's new job only pays half of what the old one did, and money is tight). At first it felt like a chore. But now, its actually becoming fun, and I think I've come up with some creative ideas. Below I've posted some of the things I've come up with, and I'd love for all my readers to post their creative money saving/making ideas.
1) I have supplemental insurance, that I never use. I spent an hour yesterday pulling out all my old insurance information from last year and filing claims. I think I should get about $500 back. Yipee! I can pay for Christmas.
2) Like all the Gecko commercials say, I called around for insurance quotes. I settled with another, lesser known company, but it is going to save me $480 a year.
3) I called the mortgage company and set up a 2 week billing cycle. They claim it will save close to $15,000 over the life of the loan.
4) I found out that if I pay my daycare early, I save $20 per child per month. I'm also going to see if I can work there on Fridays for a reduced daycare cost.
5) I stayed up till 11pm last night listing baby stuff for sale on ebay.
6) I've been trying to do medical research studies, but I keep getting denied. The latest one paid $250 for only 2 medical visits - and I got a free flu shot with it. But I didn't qualify. Maybe one day they will want me.
7) I've been printing out coupons from on-line retailers. With lots of searching, I've found some good ones.
8) I've been doing on-line surveys. The site I've gone though gives you points for taking surveys - and I can save up points for cash. Right now I'm up to about $50. I also have been going on another website that pays me to click on their offers. It takes awhile, but I have enough right now for a $50 gift certificate.
9) Of course I have always been beyond frugal. I wash my hair with $.99 shampoo, buy generic products, only buy what we need, etc. We're definitely not the most stylish family on the block.
Anyway - I'd love other ideas. So please, if you read my blog and you're doing something to make/save money please let me know. I need all the $$$ I can get right now!