Thursday, February 26, 2009
The (not so) happiest place on earth
So, tomorrow I’m leaving for Florida. My husband and I are taking our kids to Disney World with some other friends of ours. The kids and my husband are so excited that they cannot stand it. So are our friends. I’m not so excited. I know it makes me sound like a spoiled brat to not be excited for a vacation, but I cannot help myself. Here are just a few of the reasons why:
• I have a deep-rooted hatred of all things Disney – even as a kid I hated Disney. Just the thought of having to spend a week surrounded by Mickey Mouse and all his friends makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.
• My idea of a vacation is somewhere with incredible scenery that I can hike, play in the water, snorkel, etc. I’m not a big fan of paying for someone to entertain me – I prefer to entertain myself.
• Along with that, I don’t love crowds.
• The economy right now really scares me, and I think I’d prefer to take a cheaper vacation and save money instead.
• In the 7+ years I’ve been married, this will be my 5th trip to a Disney location. (Prior to that, I’d only been to Disney once). I want to go somewhere else.
But, I’m going. And I’m planning on being a good sport. I will do whatever the group wants, and I’ll try to do it with a smile. I’m sure seeing my kids enjoy it will be fun too. I am also going to try really hard to make it to the beach for one day. I’m not sure how much blogging I’ll be doing the next week, but I will be updating Facebook, so you can check in there if you’re interested. And if you want to be my Facebook friend, email me and I’ll send you a friend request.