Thursday, September 06, 2007

momentary freak-out

So, I just looked at the calendar.  Today is September 6 - exactly one full month away from October 6 - which just so happens to be the day I am running the marathon.
 
Holy crap.
 
My did time fly this summer.  I've been a slacker too.  5 months ago, I sat down and carefully charted out a schedule of runs.  My schedule had 3-4 "short" runs per week, with a long run on the weekend.  I carefully stepped up each week as not to go over 10% distance from the week before.  I also planned to increase for 2 weeks, and then drop back for 1 (kind of a 2 steps forward, 1 step back approach).  My goals were to slowly build on the mileage and to avoid injury.  I spent hours on this chart, and for the first month of training I followed it like it was gospel.
 
And then I promptly forgot it.
 
Since then, I've been great about my short runs.  In fact, I'm averaging about 20 miles per week of running.  My body is in shape - I have lost weight and I'm looking so much better.  But the longest I've run is 13 miles.
 
I have run 13 miles several times, and can comfortably run that distance with no pain and no soreness the following day.  If I was running a half marathon, I'd be set.  Problem is, I'm running 26.2 miles, which by the way, is a hell of a long way.  Drive it in your car if you don't believe me.  Try just walking it.  I guarantee that the average person would have a difficult time even walking 26.2 miles - let alone running that far.  In the mountains.  In the heat.
 
I'm going to die - or embarrass myself.  Or both.  What was I thinking?
 
I'm just telling myself that there is no shame in walking.  I'll just do what I can.  This weekend I'll run 15, and then next weekend I'll do a 20.  After that, my last 2 weeks are taper, so running will be easy those last 2 weeks.  But hey: if I do finish it, I'll be a marathoner.  How cool would that be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Good luck with running that marathon! Wow ~ what a huge undertaking! Best wishes ... and thanks again for stopping by my blog! Congrats on your children ... they are beautiful!

Megan said...

Funny how life sort of takes over at times, huh? You'll do great! Finishing is a great accomplishment! Will you make me a training schedule for my half marathon next April? You atleast have that part down!