Monday, June 04, 2007

Another fun weekend

True to form, one of my kids got sick this weekend.  While I do appreciate the fact that they are learning that weekend illness disrupts the family schedule the least, I do miss having weekends without sick kids.
 
I knew Gracelin was feeling a bit sick on Friday - she barely ate and complained that she had a headache.  But we had a fun day, including a trip to the splash pad, and I thought she was ok.  Ben was out all evening, so after I got the girls in bed, I headed to the treadmill for a 6 mile run.  After my run, the kids were still quiet so I decided to take an ice bath (the greatest way to keep sore muscles at bay).
 
I had barely shut off the (cold) bath water, when I heard G screaming for me.  Pretty soon, she was in the bathroom.  In her pathetic voice, she told me that she was sick, and sad that I was in the bath.  I hurried out of the bath, and carried her to her room.  She felt really warm - warmer than she should have felt to my ice bathed body.  I took her temp and it was 105.6.
 
Now in the past, a temp of 105.6 would have made me hysterical.  But I've come to realize that my poor little girl is prone to high fevers (the highest I've seen is 107.1 - which earned her a trip to the ER).  This night though, I dosed her with Motrin and Tylenol, got her a drink, and cuddled her in bed.  Her feverish mind was working in hyper drive, and she was telling me the funniest things.  Recently, her daddy had taken her to a water park, and she was reliving the entire day at warp speed - with the added part about the alligators in the lazy river.
 
It became apparent rather quickly that this was going to be a long night.  And pretty soon, I started feeling sick.  I had to leave the room 3 times to puke.  Finally at 11 pm, I called Daddy to come home and help us - which he dutifully did.
 
The next morning, the girls were up early, just like always.  And being the nice daddy that he is, he took the girls for bagels and then to visit Grandma M.  I got to sleep past 10 am (which I haven't done by the way, since April 28, 2004).  Then I took a shower with no one pounding on the door.  I also got to do dishes with no one climbing into the dishwasher and do a load of laundry with no one climbing into the dryer.  It was a good morning. 
 
Finally my sweet family came home.  Poor little G was still really sick, so it was off to instacare.  I was worried she had another UTI, since she was complaining of "spicy pee".  She even peed into the "hat" without major trauma, but her urine was clean.  The Dr took one look into her throat, and immediately knew she had strep.
 
Not that I was happy G was sick, but I just love when my kids have something easy to treat.  After only 2 doses of amoxicillin and a long nap, G woke up covered in sweat but fever-free.  As I changed her clothes, I remarked to her that she had broken her fever.  She started to apologize, but I explained to her that a fever is a good thing to break.

No comments: