Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Who needs sleep anyway?

Certainly not me (or so my children think).
 
I probably should write a post on how Bryn still continues to not sleep - how she has only slept through the night a few times in her entire life.  And how lately, she doesn't want to go back to sleep after her midnight waking.  But that would be old news.  And anyway, who wants to hear me complain?

I think I'm going to post about my big girl - who used to be my good sleeper.  I think we maybe ruined her by moving her from the crib too early.  She seemed old enough, and definitely ready.  But since she got into her "big girl bed" at only 20 months, it hasn't been the same.
 
I'm embarrassed to admit this:  I haven't slept in the same bed as my husband in months.  I'm always in bed with G.  She can't fall asleep if I'm not there.  When I do leave, she wakes up crying for me.  Its easier that I just stay there.
 
We don't have this issue for naptime.  She can fall asleep on her own, and sleep for 3 hours by herself during the day.  But night time is scary for her.  She closes her eyes and sees "scary pretend monsters".  I've tried reasoning with her.  I've gone to the store for magic night lights that make all the scary pretend monsters go away.  I've tried to be firm - even mean.  And I've even left her to CIO (which really doesn't work when the child can just get out of bed).  In the end, I've resorted to sleeping in the same bed as my 3 year old.
 
I keep hoping that she'll grow out of it, which I know she eventually will (she won't be coming home from the prom to lay in bed with her mommy), but if anything her fears seem to be getting worse.  I'm at my wit's end.  I'm tired and I want to get a full night of sleep.  I want to sleep in my own comfortable bed with my husband (even if he does snore like a lumberjack).
 
I do love the "pillowtalk" that G and I have while she's falling asleep.  She will ask me to tell her a story from my head - usually about a princess.  She will tell me about her day.  Last night I heard all about how Miss C at daycare taught her to never open the door for strangers, and how little H loves to bite the other kids.  I think I know way more about her 3 year old life than other parents of kids in daycare.
 
I especially love how she wants to hold my hand while she falls asleep, and when she cuddles her little warm body up against mine.  I do think that I've had an incredible opportunity to bond with my sweetie in ways that many parents miss out on.  So, I assume it really isn't all bad.  I mostly just wish I could sleep more.
 
I'm tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter slept with us until her 5th birthday. It was challenging, but she would do the same thing as G. She was scared and there was no reasoning with her. She told me before her 5th birthday that she would start to sleep by herself and she did. She had to make the decision herself. I still go in her room with her and snuggle her, talk to her and read her a book, usually until she falls asleep. We still have the bonding time and I get to sleep in my bed!! I guess i'm just trying to say give it some time. They are only little once.